Our sweet baby Nico is turning ONE this month! We can’t believe our baby boy will soon be a toddler! Time is flying and we are enjoying every moment. So to kick off the month of ONE, we started with family photos and a CAKE SMASH!
Baby Cake Smash Cake
Naturally I turned to Pinterest to find a healthy baby cake recipe. By no means are we ultra healthy over here. WE indulge in all the glory of ice cream and pizza in this house. However, it was important to us that baby Nico’s first cake be healthy and organic for his tiny growing body. As new parents, we were definitely those “parents” making healthy purees with the Baby Bullet from when he was 6 months old. Just recently we have started introducing all the fun stuff, like pizza crust and pasta. YUM!
I came across an amazing mama named Heather of Fit Mama Real Food. Thank you, Pinterest for the introduction! I used her Baby’s First Cake Smash recipe with minor tweaks. This healthy banana cake is delicious! We will be making this again and again! Check out Heather and her sweet family at Fit Mama Real Food for more delicious and healthy recipes!
Baby Cake Smash Cake Supplies
This cake joined us at Calamigos Ranch in Malibu (also our 2014 dreamy wedding venue) for our family and cake smash photos. These are the supplies we used.
- Cake Caddy
- Round Wood Turntable
- Happy Birthday Plate
- Target – 5 Layer Cake Pan set
- Amazon – ONE Cake Topper
- Pottery Barn Measuring Cups
- Mixing Bowl
- Cooling Rack
- IKEA Potato Smasher (for the bananas)
- Baking Spatula
- Baking Whisk
- DASH hand mixer
Baby Cake Smash Cake Ingredients – Fit Mama Real Food
- 4 or 5 ripe bananas (I used 5 Vons Organic bananas)
- 1/2 cup natural no sugar added applesauce (I used Trader Joe’s Organic Apple Sauce)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup oat flour (grind rolled oats in blender, then measure)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions from Fit Mama Real Food
- Mash the bananas in a medium bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the flours, baking soda, and cinnamon together.
- Add the mashed bananas, applesauce, coconut oil, and vanilla to the flour mixture. Mix just until incorporated.
- Coat your 4 mini tart pans + 6-8 muffin pans (or 2 8 or 9″round pans) with oil. (I used 5 mini layer pans from Target and coated them with coconut oil)
- Spread the batter into the bottom of the pans.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. (I baked for 18 minutes)
- Cool the cakes before frosting. If you used the 8″ or 9″ pan, then use an overturned smaller bowl to cut out small cake rounds.
Baby Cake Smash Frosting Ingredients – Fit Mama Real Food
- 1 cup (8 ounces) cream cheese ( I doubled the frosting ingredients, which is NOT needed!)
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) no sugar added apple juice concentrate (I used Vons Organic Apple Juice)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Directions from Fit Mama Real Food
- Soften the cream cheese.
- Whisk the cream cheese with the apple juice concentrate and vanilla extract until creamy.
Frosting the layers
Once the cake was cooled and the frosting was ready, I used the wood turntable to place the first layer of cake. I frosted each layer then frosted the whole cake using the “Naked Cake” look. Lastly I Placed the ONE Cake Topper on top and covered in my Cake Caddy. I made this cake the day before our photos. I put the cake in the refrigerator over night and it was ready to go the next morning.
Cake Smash Sneak Peek
This cake was mama made and baby approved! Nico loved it! This cake is truly delicious. It would also double as a great breakfast muffin for baby or mama!
Stay tuned for our family photo shoot at Calamigos Ranch by the amazing Ashley Alexis Photo, coming soon! Tell me what you think of this cake and let me know if you have any awesome healthy baby recipes! I’d love to try them out. Until next time, keep on soul searching!